Beautiful May! I was so lucky to recieve a box of possibilities from the lovely Michelle over at Scaapi. And there was some gorgeous South African yarn from Vinnis colours, called Bambi. A cotton-bamboo blend! So super soft! and the colors reminded me of a beautiful spring day. I was so inspired by the softness in this yarn, and the Scaapi Cowl was created. Perfect for spring days and chilly summer evenings. With a few changes, you can easy make a gorgeous shawl or scarf. For the shawl, just rearrange the motifs as a triangle. I will post the drawing for the joining in the bottom. And the hand written diagram for the motifs.
The pattern is written in U.S. terms and I used a 4 mm hook.
This is the child size of the cowl. You will need 8 big motifs and 4 small (2 tall, 4 wide). For the lager cowl, you will need 15 big motifs and 10 small (3 tall, 5 wide).
A small tip is to finish round 1-6 on all your big motifs. Use the Pic 1 to see how to join the motifs as you go. You can also sew the motifs together in the picots, if you find the joining difficult.
ss- slip stitch
sc- single crohet
hdc- half double crochet
3dcc- 3 double crochet cluster
Picot- ch 3 and make a ss in the 1.st ch
- Chain 4 and form to a ring with a ss, ch 1
- Sc 8 into the ring, fasten with a ss in your ch 1
- In any sc, fasten yarn with a ss and make your first 3dcc, *ch2, 3dcc in the next sc*. Continue ** round out. You will have 8 3dcc with a 2 ch space between. Cut and fasten yarn.
- In any ch space, fasten yarn with a ss and ch 2 (first hdc). In the same ch space, one more hdc, ch 1, 2 hdc *ch1, next ch space, 2hdc, ch2, 2hdc*. Continue ** round out and fasten with a ss in the top of the ch2 you started out with. 16 (2hdc) with a ch 1 space between.
- In any ch 1 space, fasten yarn with a ss and ch 4 (a hdc and a ch2), a hdc in he next ch space. *ch 2, hdc in the next ch 1 space*. Continue ** round out. 16 hdc with a ch 2 space between.
Fasten with a ss in the 2 ch you started out with, ch 1
- Sc 3 in the first ch space, *sc 3 in the next ch space*. Continue ** round out. Fasten with a ss int the ch 1 you started out with.Cut and fasten yarn.
- In the second sc from your previos round, fasten yarn with a ss and ch2 (first hdc), *ch 3, skip 2 sc, hdc in next*. Continue ** round out. Fasten with a ss in the top of your 2ch you started out with. Ch, 1 Don’t cut the yarn
- In the next chain space, *sc 3, picot, sc3* Continue ** round out.
For the small motifs, Use round 1-3 from the big motif, And round 4 is almost the same. Just skip the ch 1 before you start your 2 hdc in the next ch space.
If you have any questions feel free to send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. And if you make this and share it on Instagram, please use the #scaapicowl or #maritparit! I would love to se your creations!
Lots of love,